- The Mullaperiyar Dam is located in the Indian state of Kerala and was built in 1895.
- It is a gravity dam made of concrete, and is 53.6 meters high and 365.7 meters long.
- The dam is built on the Periyar River, and provides water to the neighboring state of Tamil Nadu for irrigation and hydroelectric power generation.
- The dam has been a source of controversy between the two states, with Tamil Nadu claiming that the dam is safe and Kerala arguing that it poses a threat to the safety of the people living downstream.
- In 2018, the Supreme Court of India allowed Tamil Nadu to raise the water level of the dam from 136 ft to 142 ft, despite protests from Kerala.
- The dam is also home to a variety of wildlife, including elephants, tigers, and leopards.
- The dam’s reservoir is a popular tourist spot, with visitors coming to enjoy boating and fishing.
- The dam has been the site of several earthquakes over the years, including a 4.1 magnitude quake in 2018.
- The Mullaperiyar Dam is named after John Pennycuick, a British engineer who oversaw its construction.
- The dam has become a symbol of the longstanding dispute between the states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu over water sharing.
Mullaperiyar Dam history
The Mullaperiyar Dam is a masonry gravity dam on the Periyar River in Kerala and Tamil Nadu, India. It was completed in 1895 and is one of the oldest dams in India. The dam was built by the British during their colonial rule in India to divert water from the Periyar River to the arid regions of Madurai in Tamil Nadu. The dam is located in Kerala but is owned and operated by Tamil Nadu. The dam has been a source of controversy and conflict between the two states due to concerns over its safety and water-sharing agreements. Despite several studies indicating that the dam is safe, Kerala has been demanding the construction of a new dam. The dispute is still ongoing.
who built mullaperiyar dam
The Mullaperiyar Dam was built by the British engineer John Pennycuick in the late 19th century.
why mullaperiyar dam is operated by tamil nadu
The Mullaperiyar Dam is operated by Tamil Nadu because it was constructed in 1895 by the British to serve the Madras Presidency. At that time, the dam site was under the control of the Madras Presidency, which is now part of Tamil Nadu. The water from the dam is used for irrigation and power generation in Tamil Nadu. However, there have been disputes between Tamil Nadu and Kerala over the safety of the dam and the amount of water released from it.
how old is mullaperiyar dam
The Mullaperiyar Dam is over 126 years old, as it was constructed in 1895.
where is mullaperiyar dam situated
Mullaperiyar Dam is situated in the Indian state of Kerala, near Thekkady in the Periyar National Park.
which dam is big mullaperiyar or idukki dam
The Idukki Dam is bigger than the Mullaperiyar Dam. The height of the Idukki Dam is approximately 168 meters, while the height of the Mullaperiyar Dam is approximately 53 meters.
mullaperiyar dam situated in which district of kerala
The Mullaperiyar Dam is situated in the Idukki district of Kerala.
what happens if mullaperiyar dam breaks
If the Mullaperiyar Dam were to break, it could cause significant damage to the surrounding area, including flooding and loss of property and life. However, it is important to note that there are safety measures in place to prevent such an event from occurring.
mullaperiyar dam approx how much water will be there
The Mullaperiyar dam has a storage capacity of approximately 443.24 million cubic meters of water.
What is the origin of Mullaperiyar river?
The Mullaperiyar River originates in the Western Ghats of Kerala, India. It is a tributary of the Periyar River and is an important source of water for the surrounding regions.
In which state the Periyar River has its source?
The Periyar River has its source in the state of Kerala, India.
Where does Periyar River start and end?
The Periyar River starts in the Western Ghats of Kerala, India and flows roughly 244 km (152 mi) before emptying into the Arabian Sea.
Which state does it pass through after the water is released from mullaperiyar dam?
After the water is released from Mullaperiyar Dam, it passes through the state of Tamil Nadu before reaching the Arabian Sea.
Is electricity generated through mullaperiyar dam
The Mullaperiyar Dam does not generate electricity. It is primarily used for irrigation and hydroelectric power generation is not one of its functions.
Does mullaperiyar dam help the farmer
The Mullaperiyar Dam, located in India, provides water for irrigation to the surrounding agricultural lands. Therefore, it can be said that the dam helps the farmers by providing them with a reliable source of water for their crops.
how long and wide is mullaperiyar dam
The Mullaperiyar Dam is approximately 1,200 meters long and 53 meters wide.
What is current issue of Mullaperiyar dam?
The current issue of the Mullaperiyar dam is related to the safety concerns of the dam, which is located in Kerala, India. There are ongoing disputes between the states of Kerala and Tamil Nadu over the water level and the safety of the dam, as it is over 100 years old.